1. What is AR Technology?
AR is an abbreviation for Augmented Reality – where virtual content meets the actual world through mobile’s camera (e.g. phones, tablets). In other words, AR Technology adds virtual elements into the real world to enhance users’ experience and interaction. This allows users to see their physical surroundings while being able to superimpose and manipulate visual objects, content and visuals.
2. How does AR Technology work?
If VR Tech requires a VR Headset, AR Tech can easily work on mobile devices which we are so familiar with. Just some simple steps with a mobile's camera, AR Tech will create 3D images and objects to the real environment. The computer-generated virtual content acts as an overlay onto users’ view.
3. How many types of Augmented Reality Technology are there?
In practice, the applications of Augmented Reality Technology are in various forms depending on what they are used for. A face filter on social media or a mini mobile game, here are some popular AR types:
- AR Face Filters: These are graphics designed to layer over users’ faces via mobile’s camera. AR Tech will track facial features (e.g. eyes, brows, lips) and movements (e.g. nod, blink, open mouth). Then, filters like lipsticks, hats, glasses or interactive games will be displayed and users can manipulate them using their facial movements. These filters are popular and quite widely used on various social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram. E.g. Merries’ Tet 2021 AR Face Filter, Stitch Hat AR Face Filter, etc.
- AR Image Target: This tracks a designed visual, tracking its features and displaying virtual content over the visual using AR tech. In other words, users will use a mobile's camera to scan images and the virtual content will show on top of the real one. This tech is applied on packaging, posters, etc. to make content more appealing, realistic and interactive with customers.
AR can recognize a visual clue and trigger where to position AR content
- AR Event: This is displayed on big screens at events, in public where a lot of people can interact. AR Tech will identify the target via facial expressions and body movements. Virtual content will then show and allow people to interact with it like it’s actually there. AR Event is great for big campaigns or events as backdrops or banners. E.g. Lazada’s 2020 Year End Party Event.
- AR Product Viewer: This generates products’ visuals in 3D and allows them to display onto real environment via mobile’s camera. Users can place them on any flat surface and have a full 360o experience. This is used in retailing to give customers a full preview before they decide to purchase.
- AR Space: Recreates users’ physical surroundings using appealing graphics. AR tech will display virtual content within the actual one so users can have a full experience. This tech is used to make interactive games and it can work with AR Filter to allow users to create new, unique visuals
- AR Geo Location: Via connecting with GPS, AR tech can superimpose virtual content onto marked locations and allow that content to display on the map. Basic information of streets and historical relics will be shown with details. Not only does this support tourism but also tourists who are unfamiliar with a foreign land. In addition, this is applied in mobile games like Pokemon Go, Hado The Hunter, etc.
4. How is AR Technology applied in practice?
Being various in applications and capable of interacting with customers, AR tech is suitable for many fields. Companies, individuals can get creative all they want with this AR tech regarding what they need it to do.
In the advertising/marketing field, AR tech helps campaigns become more appealing and more interesting. Customers can interact with products or service wherever they are. This experience can better build a strong bond between brands and their customers.
In retailing, AR tech gives customers the most realistic experience with the products and a full preview of what they plan to buy. With furniture particularly, people always love to virtually furnish their living space. This makes the decision making process much easier for them.
Additionally, AR tech can be applied in education, medical care, etc. for some exciting elements to liven up the dull education system.
So this overview wraps up everything we need to know about AR technology. Augmented Reality is an innovation that lets users see the real world and virtual graphics at the same time and gives them an amazing experience. With so many applications to choose from, companies can easily use AR on their products and enhance customers’ experience.